Friday, November 14, 2008

F-ed Up Things You Can Get at Super-Fly Comics that are Actually Kinda Cool

A couple weeks ago, I was in Super-Fly Comics & Games, my beloved local comic shop and video game depot, and was ordering something or another. Tony, one of the owners was looking up the thing I wanted in the computer and was reading off some results.


“There’s Donkey Kong Jenga,” he said.

We shared a hearty laugh.

“You’ve got to be fucking with me,” I replied.


Nope! It turns out that Donkey Kong Jenga is real! It plays like original Jenga if you want, or can be a more faithful adaptation to the original Donkey Kong arcade game, where Mario must ascend the pink platforms, overcoming obstacles to save Pauline from Donkey Kong. I’m not sure exactly how it works, but it involves a spinner (there’s plenty of info here). So now I must eat my laughter, as it looks pretty cool and I almost want it.


Sure, Donkey Kong Jenga sounds crazy, but it’s almost sane compared to other things you can order from a comic shop: hentai action figures; replicas of actual Green Lantern lanterns, Joker canes or a Star Trek communicator; a giant Hero Click figure of Fin Fang Foom; Indiana Jones bookends, and… I’ll stop there. I’m sure you get the picture.


(NOTE: I'm not saying Super-Fly has any of this stuff, DK Jenga included, but they can order it!)


Max

No comments: